10.36pm (GMT 13th Jan) 7.36pm Local time

We woke up this morning and realised it was Friday 13th which makes it a little bit anxious when you’re in the middle of nowhere down in Antarctica, however Seth informed me he was born on Friday 13th so I relaxed and the day started well. It actually started with a chat with Roy Noble from Radio Wales which was great. He is a very nice chap and I enjoyed meeting him when I did to do a live piece with him on his show prior to leaving the UK. It was recorded this morning so I hope it went out sometime today.

We set off with all good intentions expecting to cover some serious miles today, but it was not to be. Within 1 hour the cloud came down very, very fast and blowing snow was hitting us from about 9 ‘o’ clock. It got worse and worse and literally within 1 hour we could not tell the ground from the sky or see for more than 30 meters in any direction. We battled on through this for 6 hours taking a compass bearing every 50 meters and sticking close together. With nothing to reference, without a compass or an instrument we would have simply gone round in circles. It is most peculiar, most unsettling. Seth did a great job, as confirmed by the GPS course that we saw when we were in the tent later today, but I have to say it was an anxious and quite frightening day and with the wind chill it was -30°C throughout. We didn’t really have more than very, very quick breaks with the snow blowing on us it was a horrible, horrible day. Wilson obviously deserted us completely which we were not impressed with, not very chivalrous of him.

We called it a day at 4pm and set up our camp in record time. As soon as we got in we get snow going and I had a cup of soup and an hour getting warm and thawing out again in my sleeping bag and then I felt a lot better. During the stops today I had some seriously cold fingers and you have to be so, so careful about them out here. We are now in the tent and we will have to sit it out until conditions improve. That’s particularly frustrating as we are now only 20 miles from the South Pole but we just have to be patient.

On another note I am being sent, some verbally and some textually, responses to this blog which I am doing daily, from friends and all sorts of people. I cannot tell you how much that means. This is not, as I’ve said before, a walk in the park. I have never been in conditions like this and I have never pushed myself so hard, but your interest is hugely important to me and I appreciate it very much so please keep responding.

On a last point today I just want to remind everybody that this is about the Teenage Cancer Trust and if you can donate on line, if you haven’t already please, please do, we need to raise a lot of money and I promise you we will make that money, with the Teenage Cancer Trust, be used very effectively to help youngsters who are not as lucky as most of us. We must do this because if we haven’t then this trek will not have been worthwhile.

There are no responses so far.


New comments are closed.